Saturday, December 18, 2010

Waiting for the Light

Yule. It's a time of for celebration. It's a time for family, a time for love. The winter solstice is the longest night of the year. It's a time when the earth is plunged into darkness. It's a time to reflect on all that the night holds, all that the darkness represents. It's a time to learn and a time to reflect. As a pagan, I believe that winter is a time when Goddess rests, she is tired of her hard work, it's a time when mother earth rests, weary from providing for her children. I believe that Yule, the longest night of the year, provides a turning point, a welcoming of the God, the light, the sun, back to the earth. It's a time to give up to the dark all the things that need to change.. It's a time to ask for help to accept the changes that come with the turning of the night to day, of the dark to light, of the bad to good. I have had a difficult year this year. I've made a lot of choices, thought a lot of things. It has been a very trying year for my family. I haven't been very willing to accept what needed to be changed, having been very open to the guidance that Goddess has provided me. Now, as I sit and contemplate the year I've had, I understand things in a way I didn't a short while before. I've come to discover that there are some choices, some sacrifices that I must make, some things that are simply worth the choice. This year, on the darkest night of the year, while I wait with my fellow pagans, waiting for the light to come, I will give to the dark what needs to be given. I will give up my anger to the dark, my fear, my control, my self-doubt. I am willing and accepting, I am open. I am ready for the light of a new day and a new year.

No comments: