Monday, November 29, 2010

We Are Here...

So, I promised a jewelry post.. And this is.. for the most part. :) I am part of an awesome team on Etsy called Pagan Team and they have posted a challenge. It's called "We Are Here" and asks the question "What will let the world see who we/you are in relation to our/your chosen path and craft/art?" It got me to thinking. What am I hoping to show in this piece? Well... I am me. I am a mom, I am a daughter, and a sister, and a friend, and a wife... But I'm also a Pagan, a witch, an earth dweller. So what do I want to say? My religious choices are a large part of my life, they define many of my masks, they impact a great deal of my life. When I think of who I am, I think of that before all others. I think of my pagan beliefs, I think of my family next, I think of my ties to the earth, and my love for those things. These things are the inspiration for this entry into the challenge for "We Are Here". I wanted to be able to proudly shout out my pagan beliefs, to show not only my own spiritual side, but to also encourage others to do the same.


It saddens me to see that so many pagans feel afraid to openly show their chosen faith. They are afraid of judgment, of ridicule, of loosing friends, family, of openly being chastised for their beliefs. It's fear that causes these reactions to begin with, I feel. Fear of what the symbol and the pagan way stands for. The pentacle (or pentagram as many call it) is a 5 point star, 5 points for the elements earth, air, water, and fire, and a fifth, spirit, all connected by a circle, symbolizing unity, wholeness. There is no right side up, or upside down meaning for a pentacle. There is no good vs. evil. It is simply a symbol of the pagan faith.

No comments: