Friday, July 16, 2010

What to do, what to do....

I have a big decision before me. This one involves meds vs supplements. I've not been posting much.. been over a month, I know... I keep cycling back and forth btwn being in a good mood (and very busy the kids/house) and being in an irritated or "I don't care" mood. So things have fallen by the wayside here. I've been trying different meds and getting the same results, any time I try an anti-depressant. Not good results, mixed episodes that leave everyone unhappy. I recently sent an email to the biomed dr, Dr. Yasko, asking for her input into my situation. She responded with quite a few new supplement recommendations, and stating that she would send me a test to send in. My thought is, she is sending this test for free (as with her site, if you order it, you pay before the kit ships to you...) and if so, that would be amazing.. if she expects me to send in payment, well, I just simply can't. That particular test is $300. NOT chump change. But this begs the decision... Prescription meds or supplements. If I go the Dr. Yasko route, it's going to be costly, but I will be under the care of someone who understands MUCH more about my genetics and med reactions, someone who can help balance out my hormones and chemicals. And very likely get me stable, though I will likely go through a die-off or "detox" period which will be rough on me no doubt. Did I mention it would be costly? I'm already spending about $300 a month in supps, for ME (doesn't even include the kids). But if I go the MD route, MUCH cheaper, closer to $40 a month, and likely going the route of an antipsychotic will get me stable, but there's side effects, many of them which will not be pleasant.. Think nausea and dizziness, and shakes, and weight-gain... To name a few..

So yeah.. I have a lot to think about. If I were rich, my choice would be made, I'd go the Dr. Yasko route. Nothing to think about. But.. I'm not.. I'm on a VERY tight budget, with nothing left to cut out... I prefer Yasko to the MD approach.. I just don't know how realistic that choice is right now....

*think**think**think**think*

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I will be under the care of someone who understands MUCH more about my genetics and med reactions,"
But she hasn't ever actually tested you or seen you or had any contact with you other than an email...I'm not sure she could be considered an expert on your condition.

Sadly, there is no magic bullet. The "supplements and biomed" route doesn't mean the absence of side effects. I think I would put stock in local doctors who have actually seen me with their own eyes vs. someone with only a theoretical knowledge of my situation.

Elsie

Just Me said...

She does testing, and I have done some testing through her, as well as sent her copies of my testing done elsewhere, and she personally reviews and sends her written comments, actually.. My biggest concern with local MDs, is they keep trying the same stuff so far, and getting the same results.. I guess I haven't found the "right" MD yet..

It sure would be nice if they had a magic bullet though *laughs*

Anonymous said...

So she did all of that without you paying her? That's amazing!

Elsie

Just Me said...

Well, the testing, you pay for, through her (and like all docs/professionals she gets her fee off that, and she sells her own personal supplement formulas/brands) but when you have questions, or problems, you can email her(or comment on the chat forum) and she will respond with suggestions for a plan of action, or clarification fairly quickly...She keeps files of all the people who test through her and while she doesn't comment directly on any outside testing, she keeps those to use for reference along side her tests. She just shipped me 2 tests to complete and a bottle of supplements she wants me to start on, free. If I were to have paid for the 2 tests and the supplements, it would have totaled just over $600 plus shipping. Still am undecided overall.. but gotta admit it's nice that she would go this extra "mile".

Anonymous said...

Usually, any type of health care involves a certain amount of "just being a number". With my MIL's many health problems (and other problems) we've really found that the key is to make a personal connection to someone so they work harder to get results. Luckily, my husband is very good at making personal connections with doctors. He's had to work through the bureaucratic nightmare that is the transplant foundation at Methodist...and still with just spotty success. Unfortunately, his mom's case is just too complicated for most doctors to navigate so most of them just give up on her.

Elsie

Kelly said...

Catching up but I have to admit I am sure the reason she is going the extra mile is because she sees it as a money making opportunity. Test you, say you need X and voila more money.

I know you aren't as mainstream as I but I have to admit one of the reasons I see MD's, PHds etc is I know they have to be licensed and agree to ethical standards. That doesn't eliminate bad behaviour but it means there is something in place to begins to limit the questionable practices.

How long have you stayed on anti-psychotics? Many of the symptoms are self limiting and if you can make it 3-6 months you will find they go away or minimize.

Just Me said...

I'll be honest, that really is a worry of mine Kelly... It has been for some time. I know there are several supplements that really make a difference for me, but I don't usually get them from her office, unless they're cheaper there. She is actually a PHd. Here's her "resume"
http://www.dramyyasko.com/resume/

I haven't tried the anti-psychotics yet. I have an appt on the 4th with a new psychiatrist. It's my next path. The only meds in the past have been the anti-depressants, which either caused manic or mixed episodes, and the epileptic "mood stablizers" which heh, caused rages.. So my logic says move on to the next step. We'll see what the MD says, and I'll see what Dr. Yasko says as well, and will either pick one or the other, or find a balance...

Elsie - wow, sorry to hear of your MIL's medical issues :(

Kelly said...

A PHd still doesn't have any board to report to.

While I see PHds for my psychologists they are licensed and have a board here in TN.

Again, YMMV but I prefer the more mainstream route when dealing with complex things like drugs (and supplements meant to change the working of the brain are in fact drugs)

Anonymous said...

http://www.quackwatch.com/04ConsumerEducation/Nonrecorg/clayton.html

Just Me said...

Kel - What does YMMV mean? (clueless sometimes here!) the only reason I have shied away from MDs in the past is that most don't seem to take me seriously. Even as a kid, my pediatrician actually told my mom I was FAKING stomach issues, despite the milk allergy and failure to gain and maintain weight. Then at 14 they discovered an ulcer.. Most MDs have failed so far.. though I have found a few "gems" as I've become more educated on what is going on in my body (better able to describe and journal issues).

I know that most of the medical community frowns on supplements/herbs/homeopathy.. I also know that some of those vitamins, minerals, supplements and herbs help... I've tried some that didn't do squat.. and there are some things that I wouldn't take a second glance at. I keep in mind that the medical community started on herbals and things like leeches.. and that years ago, any one with a diagnosis of autism, or any other mental issue, was committed.. There are many things that may be proven years later. And there might not.

After much looking into things and discussion with hubby.. I don't feel right now that just supplements will get me where I need to be. I feel that in order to get there I would be spending WAY too much money and possibly more stress on my body There are a few things I will continue, those that I KNOW have helped but will make sure that they do not in anyway interact with anything new. I will be going to the Psychiatrist tomorrow and we'll see what she suggests. I've made a list of everything I have tried, both meds and supplements. I hope she will find something to help...