Thursday, February 25, 2010

What brings you joy?

A friend asked me that. What brings you joy.. joy.. It feels a bit like a foreign word to me... Joy... What is it? well.. Mr. Webster would say that joy is the emotion evoked by well-being, success, or good fortune or by the prospect of possessing what one desires. Well, I don't know if I really buy that definition... but Mr. Webster seems to be the expert on definitions.. If I go by the above, having control of my emotions, control of my surroundings, having nothing go wrong, things going as planned.. That would bring me "joy". Retail therapy would bring me "joy" (until I realize I couldn't afford what I bought). But I don't think my friend meant joy to be defined the way good ol' Mr. Webster would intend. The type of joy I think she meant is the kind you experience when you can let go, relax, breathe, and just be.

So what brings me joy? well.. I'm not really sure.. But.. I think I'd like to find out. It may take some time... Most things that are worth while do.

1 comment:

SCDMommy said...

I think your friend is very wise. Breathing and relaxing does sound joyful!